Five Ways to Keep Your Finances Stable after an Accident

Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 6:00 AM | Leave Comment

When you get in an accident, money is not the first thing you think of. However, after you get stabilized through medical treatment, you need to stabilize your finances.

Consider five essential moves you can make to ensure that you have money for bills, living expenses and mortgage or rent payments.

Five Ways to Keep Your Finances Stable after an Accident

  1. Claim Disability on Your Job

    If your job offers disability coverage, it is important that you notify the human resources department about your accident.

    If you try to use sick leave instead of disability, you can lose your job. On the other hand, if you claim a disability, you are likely to have your position held for you.

    As a rule of thumb, don’t use sick leave for more than three days. Notify your job of your disability, so that your job will be protected.

    You will be able to draw disability income during your rehabilitation.

  2. Keep Track Of Vacation Time and Sick Days You Use

    It is important that you keep track of your sick and vacation days you use.

    This is important because if you’re not able to get disability benefits from your job at first, you can at least get paid what you accrued for unused vacation and sick days.

    If you do get paid for unused sick and vacation days during your absence, you may still get reimbursed for that time by making a claim against the person who caused the accident.

  3. File a Worker’s Compensation Claim if Applicable

    If you got hurt on the job, you may be eligible to file for worker’s compensation.

    If you did not get into an accident on the job, but are sick because of some job-related incident or event, you may be able to file a claim to collect worker’s compensation as well.

  4. Social Security Benefits

    Another option for stabilizing your finances after an accident is to find out if you can collect Social Security disability benefits.

    If the injuries sustained by an accident are permanent or will last a year or more, then you have the choice to file a disability claim with the Social Security Administration.

    That way, you can collect money without having to work full time.

  5. Call a Personal Injury Lawyer

    Consult with a personal injury lawyer to represent you in collecting money from either your insurance, worker’s compensation coverage, and/or from the person who caused the accident.

    A Kenneth Cristall Law Corporation lawyer can even pursue compensation for you for lost wages and used vacation and sick days if applicable.

Getting into any type of accident that impairs you and puts a temporary or permanent halt on your ability to make a living can be very stressful and devastating at first.

But, once you become aware of the options available to you for protecting your finances, you can begin the healing process from a financial standpoint as well as an emotional and physical one.

Throw us a like at

Post a Comment on Content of the Article


This is not a billboard for your advertisement. Make comments on the content else your comments would be deleted promptly.

CommentLuv badge