Wednesday, September 15, 2010, AM | 60 Comments
On Monday June 21, 2010, I published a post Moving My Sub-Domain Blog To Add-On Domain. The sub-domain is http://mywebsiteworkout.com/personal-finances/. On and Off, I worked on it. It is now done and completely moved to my add-on domain http://doablefinance.com/ including a few new posts that you will not see them published on my sub-domain which I am going to shut down in a few days by redirecting it to my new Add-On domain.
I had not done this before so as you can imagine, I had lots of problems. My Web Host Support guys were very helpful and they guided me through the whole process. However, I still had problems on every step of the way. That was lack of understanding on my part.
The following are the steps I went through to start and complete the Move-Over:
Create Add-On Domain
The Web Host provides the facility of C-Panel where firstly I went through the process of creating the add-on domain http://doablefinance.com/. That’s one of the functions under “Domain”. You would see it when you scroll down a little. After I created the Add-On, I noticed that I could redirect it, but I didn’t need it so I didn’t do it.
Create Email Account
The second step was to create email address for my Add-On. I scrolled up the C-Panel and clicked on the Email Accounts under “Mail”. I created the address as email@example.com.
The third step was to install WordPress on my Add-On. In the process, I set up the User ID and password and gave it my firstname.lastname@example.org address to send me email when the installation was complete.
Exporting 4 tables from old sub-domain database
Using phpMyAdmin under the heading Databases in C-Panel, I selected my old database that I had filled up with my posts – 729 at the time of exporting the database.
There are two tables that I needed to export to my PC:
- wp_postmeta and
Now I am dumb about the rest of the table. However, for carrying over comments, I exported 2 more tables:
- wp_commentmeta and
Before I exported the data in these tables, I went over How to optimize your MySQL database for better performance. Once the overheads were cleared, I exported all four tables mentioned above to my PC desktop.
Using MS Note Pad, first off, in all tables, I changed the name of the old database to the new one that the Add-On process had given me. I did not make any changes in the comment tables. I made extensive changes in the post tables, especially the wp_posts table. On my desktop, the extension to all tables were dot sql.
Importing 4 tables to the new Add-On Database
Again using phpMyAdmin under the heading Databases in C-Panel, this time I selected the new database of my Add-On Domain, clicked on Import, Browsed for each file on my desktop, selected the files one by one, and clicked on the GO button. Except the wp_posts table, the data in the three tables were imported in less than a minute. However, because of the number of posts in wp_posts, it took a lot more than that.
One thing I noticed…
I logged in to my new ADD-On admin area, created all categories similar to what I had in the sub-domain with some minor changes in the name. I changed finances to finance and careers to career. After importing the data into the wp_posts table, I noticed that all categories were “Uncategorized.” I went over all 729 posts and changed the category from “Unrecognized” to the respective category of the post. This process took a good four days.
In a Nutshell
For me it was difficult at first because I had no idea what I was getting into. But now that it’s done and complete, as the saying goes “I can do it with my right hand tied behind my back.” If you get into a similar situation, try to do one step at a time. Your host service guys are there to help you as My Web Host Support helped me.