Tips on How to Fix Errors Made on Your Tax Return

Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 2:00 AM | Leave Comment

If you discover an error after you file your tax return, you can correct it by amending your return as I am doing it now. That ought to be my first priority. I had sold some stocks and the company failed to send me a copy of the record of sale. I had completely forgotten about it. The company, of course, sent a copy to IRS whose computers are quite intelligent these days to catch an error like that.

Here are a few tips from the Internal Revenue Service about amending your federal tax return:

  1. When to amend a return

    Generally, you should file an amended return if your filing status, number of dependents, total income, tax deductions or tax credits were reported incorrectly or omitted.

    Use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to amend a previously filed Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ. Make sure you check the box for the year of the return you are amending on the Form 1040X. An amended tax return cannot be filed electronically.

  2. When NOT to amend a return

    In some cases, you do not need to amend your tax return. The IRS usually corrects math errors or requests missing forms – such as Forms W-2 or schedules – when processing an original return. In these instances, do not amend your return.

  3. Multiple amended returns

    If you are amending more than one year’s tax return, prepare a separate 1040X for each return and mail them in separate envelopes to the appropriate IRS processing center (see “Where to File” in the instructions for Form 1040X).

  4. Form 1040X

    The Form 1040X has three columns. Column A shows original figures from the original return. Column B shows the changes you are making. Column C shows the corrected figures. There is an area on the back of the form to explain the specific changes and the reasons for the changes.

  5. Other forms or schedules

    If the changes involve other schedules or forms, attach them to the Form 1040X. Failure to do this will cause a delay in processing.

  6. Additional refund

    If you are amending your return to get an additional refund, wait until you have received your original refund before filing Form 1040X. You may cash that check while waiting for any additional refund.

  7. Additional tax

    If you owe additional tax, you should file Form 1040X and pay the tax as soon as possible to limit interest and penalty charges.

  8. When to file

    Generally, to claim a refund, you must file Form 1040X within three years from the date you filed your original tax return or within two years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

  9. Processing time

    Normal processing time for amended returns is 8 to 12 weeks.

  10. Source: TaxACT

    Throw us a like at

    Post a Comment on Content of the Article


    This is not a billboard for your advertisement. Make comments on the content else your comments would be deleted promptly.

    CommentLuv badge